Our laboratory testing expertise and facilities enables us to offer research, design and investigations into a range of construction materials for customers. The dedicated materials testing facilities at TRL can carry out a wide range of testing on construction materials, particularly asphalt and concrete. These include standard BS EN tests through to more bespoke testing regimes.
Performance testing of asphalt
Specimen manufacture and assessment
- test Specimen preparation using laboratory mixing to BS EN 12697-35:2004 and compaction of specimens using gyratory compaction (BS EN 12697-31:2007), vibratory compaction (BS EN 12697-32:2003) or roller compaction (BS EN 12697-33:2003).
- compactability (BS EN 12697-10:2001)
- density (BS EN 12697-6:2003), maximum density (BS EN 12697-5:2002) and air void content. TRL also have a Gamma Ray core scanner which can determine the density of a core (up to 150mm diameter) at 4mm intervals along the length of the core.
- wheel-tracking to BS EN 12697-22:2003 using either the small scale (UK) or large scale (French) wheel-tracking machines and the wheel-tracking scuffing test described in TRL Report 176 (appendix G).
- determination of water sensitivity to a number of methods including (BS EN 12697-12:2008)
- determination of indirect tensile strength (BS EN 12697-23:2003)
- fatigue testing using both indirect tensile fatigue (BS EN 12697-24:2004) and push pull type fatigue tests.
- crack propagation testing (prEN 12697-44)
- indirect tensile stiffness modulus testing to BS EN 12697-26:2004
- saturated Ageing Tensile Stiffness (SATS) testing to the method detailed in Volume 1 of the Specification for Highway Works Clause 953.
- permeability using a purpose built permeameter which can determine the permeability of 100mm diameter test specimens cored from the road or manufactured in the laboratory.
Assessment of frictional properties of asphalt surfacings
This can be done by the traditional pendulum tester (EN1339:2003 Annex J) or using the Wehner/Schulze apparatus which can polish test specimens to replicate the polishing action of traffic and then measure the frictional properties of the polished surface.
For more information on asphalt testing contact:
Telephone: +44 (0)1344 770646
TRL has a dedicated concrete laboratory where cement bound materials can be mixed to specific designs using a range of aggregates and additives. Two types of mixer are available which can batch up to 150 litres of concrete at a time for use in the manufacture of cast test specimens.
Moulds are also available for the manufacture of square (cubes), rectangular (beams) or cylindrical test specimens, compaction being achieved using a large vibrating table to which the moulds are secured. The samples are cured in a temperature controlled curing tank and the compressive and flexural strength of the material is determined using the Tonipact or Avery Denison loading machines.
Other concrete testing includes:
- wet concrete testing
- assessment of concrete properties during curing
- environmental conditioning
- corrosion testing
- silane testing
TRL also carry out a range of bespoke concrete testing to suit specific customer requirements.
For more information on the concrete mixing laboratory please contact:
Telephone: +44 (0)1344 770296