For over 75 years we've operated at the forefront of technical excellence, developing transport solutions around the world. The TRL Academy was created in 2006 to act as an overarching framework for managing TRL’s existing science, engineering and research activities, as well as providing a focus for driving future excellence.
The TRL Academy aims to reinforce our scientific and engineering expertise and our reputation as a leading international transport research institute and centre of excellence. The Academy delivers long-term research programmes and projects that develop major IPR, increasing our intellectual capital, knowledge and understanding.
The Academy's aims include:
- promoting our commitment to technical expertise and scientific development, providing a base from which to grow programmes of research of high intellectual quality with significant impact in terms of solving today’s and tomorrow’s transport challenges
- developing the scientific expertise of TRL staff
- providing the focus for TRL academic activities, including links with universities and the professional institutions, training and professional development, studentships, university teaching and knowledge sharing
- enabling joint working with the academic sector so as to strengthen research and its applications; promoting and co-ordinating other academic activities; encouraging exchange relationships for staff; and utilising cross-institutional expertise to help influence new directions in transport thinking
- administrating an internally funded longer-term research programme, which is designed to develop the capability and knowledge that our customers will need in the longer term.
The Academy is a body of learning and enquiry, operating in close co-operation with other leading establishments and generating work of high impact throughout the transport and research community. The Academy provides a focus for staff from across TRL to investigate technical issues and provide innovative solutions capable of opening up, significant new options for policy development, operations and products.
We look forward to furthering our work and collaborations with partners across the academic and professional transport and transport-related community to develop deeper understanding of the increasingly wide range of issues and potential solutions to transport problems.