The aim of this project was to determine the vehicle emission sources in Putney High Street in London Borough of Wandsworth. This street was chosen because kerbside measured nitrogen dioxide (NO2) concentrations are some of the highest in London, exceeding both the annual and hourly mean Air Quality Strategy Objective by a large margin.

A combination of automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras and video traffic counts were employed to characterise the vehicle fleet and determine emissions from each vehicle type for each hour of the day. Recommendations for further work to overcome some of the limitations of this study are provided in the report.
The headline results from the study showed that buses contributed over two-thirds of NOx emissions and 21 percent of particulate (PM) emissions in Putney High Street despite making up only ten percent of vehicle flow. Overall, cars made up two-thirds of the total vehicle flow in the street and contributed to 14 percent of NOx emissions and 35 percent of PM emissions. Emission rates were similar on weekdays and Saturday and the diurnal profile reflected that of the hourly NO2 concentrations measured at the kerbside monitoring site.

The majority of the fleet met either Euro 3/III or Euro 4/IV emissions standard, i.e. were 10 years old or newer. 93 percent of heavy goods vehicles, buses and coaches were found to meet the required standard of Phase 2 of the London Low Emission Zone scheme.

Want to know more about this project?